Bboy Scholarship Fund
Our community needs more educated bboys and bgirls. We need to expand our culture and diversify the types of professions that bboys and bgirls pursue. This will increase resources for the bboy and bgirl communities and help move the culture forward.
We currently are awarding three $1,000 dollar scholarships. But with your help, we can increase the amount of scholarships awarded and give many more young dancers a chance at higher education! Please follow the donation amounts to the right and help back our dance scholarship!
How We Will Determine Awardees
The most important part about being a part of this opportunity to give back is understanding what we will require from applicants and how we will be choosing them. Below are the requirements and the review process.
- Each applicant must have a minimum of 2.50 Cumulative Unweighted GPA / Overall GPA and must be enrolled in a college or university for the 2013 Spring semester. “College” & “University” means any accredited university, community college, junior college, or vocational school. This includes international schools. High school students are not allowed to participate in this award.
Any college bboy or bgirl can apply, but the four main components that will be reviewed are:
- Most recent college transcript
- Proof of class schedule for Winter 2013 (for those on a quarter system) or current Spring class schedule (for those on a semester system)
- A video showcasing the applicants dance skills. We are not looking for the “best” bboy or bgirl, instead we are looking to see how serious the applicant is about dance. The video must have been filmed & posted within the past 6 months.
- A 500 word essay choosing from one of the two topics:
- Think of a personal experience in which bboying has influenced academics or vise versa. How was your experience enriched by this interaction?
- Hip Hop is a very popular, thriving culture around the world. The influences of Hip Hop can be seen in many different communities internationally. In your words, describe the effects of the globalization of Hip Hop and what can be done to incorporate the Hip Hop culture and the Bboy culture into higher education curriculum.
The Bboy Spot
7033 Stapoint Court Suite C
Winter Park, FL 32792
Applicants must send in their material by March 1st, 2013. The winners will be notified by email on April 1st, 2013.
The selection committee will consist of the following:
- MexOne – The Bboy Spot
- Roxrite – Renegades
- Loan – Strife.TV (University of California-Los Angeles)
- Ion – On The Ground Non-Profit Organization (SPAIN)
- Thomas – Battle of the Year
- Dyzee – OUR System / Supernaturalz
- The Bboy Spot
- On the Ground
- OUR System
- Pulse Studios
- Freestyle Session